The 25-year-old told his father "it's really good for you" as he poured the white powder into his drink.

A father and son's disagreement over cryptocurrency trading led to a near-death experience and some jail time. Due to changes in cryptocurrency market prices, a son reportedly drugged his father to gain access to his bitcoins.

The father, who wishes to remain anonymous, made his son, Liam Ghershony, a partner in his cryptocurrency investment account worth $100,000 back in 2018. After some time, the fund grew and made a profit of $350,000, according to the pair. However, the situation changed when cryptocurrency prices fell and the son's drug use became more worrisome.

As market conditions change, father and son have different views on what to do with Bitcoin (BTC). With the price down, the father insisted on "hoarding" while the son wanted to cash out. Convinced that his son's judgment was clouded by his drug use, the father performed a two-step verification process on the account where the funds were stored.

The father recalls that this sparked an argument in which the son told him he needed to sell, to which he replied, "No, you need to stop doing drugs." In response, the son developed a plan. One day, after helping his father move some furniture and returning home from dinner at a restaurant, he began his plot.

Out of the goodness of his heart, Ghershony offered his father some tea to "build up his strength". The father accepted not knowing that it had added a large dose of benzodiazepines to knock him out. The son then used his father's phone to transfer $400,000 worth of bitcoin into his account and converted two-thirds of it into Ether (ETH). He left his father, thinking he would wake up naturally.

Related: Amazon stock rises 15% in U.S. tech deal resurgence after bitcoin price rally

Two days later, after a call from a concerned friend, police found the father lying in his bedroom, unresponsive but alive. He was taken to a hospital, where he spent four days recovering from dehydration and organ dysfunction.

The son confessed to what he had done to his mother, Christine Prefontaine. She then decided to file a police report, while his father filed criminal charges against him. The father said, "I was very strategic in filing a lawsuit against my son to force him to accept care and protect our community."

In the end, the son served 125 days in prison and escaped further punishment through two months of rehabilitation.